Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Smart Array 3200 q ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

maras

Technical User
Dec 2, 2003
PL
Hello,

I would like to ask about smart array 3200 controller and removeing physical disk from array. I've recently added 36,4HDD to my Array on port1. It was just a mistake, cos it should be added, but as RAID1 and not RAID5. Before I had 4 * 9,1HDD in RAID5. I didn't create any logical drive after "mistake" so please tell me if I remove the 36,4 HDD from ARRAY everything will stay OK ??

Do you mean that you removed the 9GB drives and replaced them with the 36GB drives or something else?

If all you did was physically insert the drives but did not configur them, there is no problem about removing them and then rearranging them, before building a RAIDset

No problem either way. If you already created a logical drive, upgrade to the latest ACU and click "migrate" with the logical drive selected. You can migrate from one level of RAID to another (5 to 1, 1 to 5, 0 to 1, etc). Some rules apply, like having to have enough physical drives for the targeted raid stripe you want, etc.

If you did not create any logical drives, you can pull them back out because they are not automatically expanded to any array until you tell it what you want to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back