Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Small scale database development

Status
Not open for further replies.

IS-IT--Management
Jan 8, 2003
GB
Hello,

I am developing a small database for a company who wishes to have a database to speed up a product enquiry system.

Essentially, the database will store products and enquirers and link them together. Some simple querying such as who has been sent details of which products and filtered searching.

The usual administrative functionality: create, edit, delete all records.

The system will need to be transactional and support upto 10 concurrent users.

The system will need to generate a standard letter with a header comprising all the details they are being sent and the address to be taken from the database.

The system will be run, initially, from within a VPN so security is minimal. Cross platform is not really an issue as they all run windows (98 -> XP).

Initially i thought Access because it is quick and simple with a lot done for you, but the company want to minimise cost, and they don't have access or any server. So, i am now leaning towards Apache, PHP, MySQL, can anyone see any problems that i am going to experience going this way, or let me have any useful information or suggestions regarding the chosen development environment.

Additionally, what would be required to run an Access environment, i presume Access on each machine, but what about the server?

Many thanks.

| Feedback is always appreciated as this will help to further our knowledge as well |

Having used Access for years, I am now moving away from it to a more "robust" muti-user database.

You can do what you require using access and the up-side is that Access databases are quick (relatively) to develop.

If you purchase the Developers Edition of Microsoft Office, you get the tools to create run-time installations of Access that do not require addicional licences (you are licensed to distribute the Access Run-time environment by purchasing the Developers edition of Office.) At least this used to be the case, I would check the current situation.

The down-side is that Access is primarily a desktop database; and while its very capable of functioning in a multi-use networked environment - it is not ideal.

If you do use Access, I would recommend storing the Data file on the Server and using Linked-tables in the client Apps.

However, you could look at moving to a true Client/Server solution and try Firebird. This is the OpenSource (free) version of the Borland Interbase Database engine.

I personally am in the process of re-writing all of my previous applications to work with this database. It is well supported and robust (as well as free!)

If you take this appraoch, you will need to purchase a development tool to write the Applications themselves (I recommend Delphi.)

Anyway, some food for thought maybe ?

Opp.

Recommend you determine the number of users who will access the database and start from there.

Here is a site I was looking at:

Depends if you can handle the development and applications to access the database and setting it up as a server, or you want to look at a prebuilt system or whatever. May be some developers in your area that do small jobs as well as large jobs. The link is just an example. It is the first site I found. Maybe something like accounting software might work for inventory. A lot depends on what functions you want to employ. Some examples are barcode readers and printers and inventory control, reports and web based applications.

If you do not like my post feel free to point out your opinion or my errors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back