Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

small pic gets large when I email it

Status
Not open for further replies.

rooster246

Technical User
Jun 26, 2005
US
I have a .jpg file that is 300 kb, but when I insert (not attach) it into an email and send it, the email comes through and is 2.9 MB. Why does it get so big when I insert it into an email and send?

I think I figured it out. The .jpg file is compressed because that is one of the advantages of making it a .jpg/.jpeg. When I open the picture and copy/paste it into an email, there is no compression. That's why my .jpg file is 300k and my email with the actual piture inserted is 2.9 MB. Pictures saved as .tiff or RAW do not have as much compression and would look larger as a file size.

I don't think that's correct. A JPG is what it is. It can't be "unzipped" for better quality. When you create it, you get what you created and nothing more to be had later on.

It's something to do with how the email program adds the picture to the message. Sort of like if you put a screen shot into Wordpad and save it as an RTF, it will be like a 5MB file easy. But if you then open that file in Word and save it as a Word format, it will be like 500KB.

If you're using an email client, such as MS Outlook, when you "paste" a picture, or Insert it, into an email, it sometimes seems to convert the picture to .bmp (bitmap) format which is MUCH larger. Also, it could be that it's resizing it to fit. Did you notice any graininess in the images sent?

If necessary, what about attaching the image(s) as files rather than inserting as images?

Another option would be to send the email as html rather than rich text. Or can you insert images into an html email in Outlook? I forget...

Of course, all of this is guessing you're using Outlook or something else.

Of course, one would have to really ask - how are you inserting the picture? Are you SURE you're inserting from the small jpg, and not accidentally from an original larger file?

copy/paste-ing images into email is a 'BAD THING'

i agree w/kjv that it is likely creating a bitmap from the pasted image which is a much larger size than the file needs to be.

you should be able to insert the file and have it retain the original file size.

So, just for the record, fisheromacse and kjv1611 - you're both agreeing with my assertion??? Not that I want the credit, but I want to be sure of my analysis.

Yeah - what happened to ATTACHING, then it won't be altered in any way.

Yeah, I agree with you, goombawaho. Although I'm not even sure I remember reading the second part of your post, or else I read it too quickly. Then again, that tends to be my more sleepy time while at work, I guess lunch kicking in full force. [morning]

How would you EVER know whether they are after you or not until it's too late. Yikes. I'm totally joking here - I'm not paranoid at all, I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back