Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Small Office Phone System Change & VOIP 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

mike51

Technical User
Sep 3, 2002
US
I am looking at the E-MetroTel Galaxy Mini for a 5-person office. They now have AT&T for their internet and can get VOIP with them but their VOIP gets converted to a RJ11 jack on the back of the gateway. Who would recommend for a VOIP provider that would be used with the Galaxy Mini? I am in Memphis, Tennessee.

Does the RJ11 jacks support more than two simultaneous conversations? Another idea is to use multiline cordless phones but need some way to get four to five active “lines” at the same time so all five employees can be having five different calls at the same time.

Any thoughts and ideas would be appreciated. They are using Vontage now but their tech support is only by chat now.

You should just get a SIP trunk from either E-MetroTel or some good SIP trunk provider (for example VoIP.ms is pretty good, easy to set up and quite inexpensive).

"Does the RJ11 jacks support more than two simultaneous conversations?"
RJ11 jacks are "Analog" therefore one conversation.
The jacks are used for analog devices such as cordless, fax, modem etc. so you would need one analog station jack per cordless/handset.
A 4 port base station would use 4 analog station jacks so each handset has there own EXT/DN.

"Another idea is to use multiline cordless phones"
Instead of analog cordless you can also get:
-SIP cordless phones
-SIP app on the users personnel mobiles and register them to the Galaxy Mini
-SIP app on the users PC with a USB headset and register them to the Galaxy Mini

"so all five employees can be having five different calls at the same time"
When you get SIP trunks, you have as an example with Voip.ms plan up to 25 channels on the per minute plan.
You only need one DID # for inbound calls.
Inbound - 25 simultaneous calls
Outbound - 5 simultaneous calls

small-logo-sig.png

=----(((((((((()----=
Toronto, Canada

Add me to LinkedIN

Thank you ucxguy and curlycord! Now to do some homework and make a decision.

Thanks for confirming the analog jacks on the back of the modem are just one phone conversation at a time on each line. When my customer ordered VOIP from AT&T she was probably thinking it was going to be true VOIP service like she has now with Vontage. Good thing I was there to stop the AT&T installer from making the switchover.

AT&T may have quizzed the client and decided that they used analog trunks so they were going to put in there own gateway to convert SIP to Analog.
The E-MetroTel Galaxy Mini however can use SIP Trunks without the need for the AT&T gateway.

Try to get more details from AT&T as to the delivery method.
Instead of a installing gateway they would supply user name and passwords etc to register the SIP trunks.

You can post back for standard questions here but for programming or more specific questions about the E-Metrotel system post them in their forum here.

Good luck

small-logo-sig.png

=----(((((((((()----=
Toronto, Canada

Add me to LinkedIN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back