Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

small network virus challenge 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

j0ckser

Technical User
Jan 4, 2004
CA
setup:
desktop running win98 connected to router
laptop running win2k connected to router
router connected to modem > internet
laptop user (me) has access to desktop
desktop user does not have access to laptop

desktop is infected with virus - Trojan-Spy.HTML.Smitfraud.c and shows blue screen of death (currently) and computer will not function.

i have mapped the hdd of the desktop onto the laptop and attempted to scan the drive with my anitvirus software (AntiVir v6), but the drive is not being recognised.

any ideas?

per ardua ad astra

Hay - just a quick couple of questions.

Does the desktop blue screen when you boot into safe mode? If not you could run your anti-virus from there.

How do you mean the drive is not being recognised when you try to access it to scan from your laptop?

M

I would use a virus boot disk and run the scan from there. you should be able to create one on your laptop. Since its 98 you won't need to struggle with horrible permissions and if any system files are missing you can just copy them back.

This method means that you don't need to boot to windows to run the scan.

But try to get to safe mode first.

Iain

to Mthales
*yes blue screen and fatal error message show up both in safe mode and regular.
*when working from the laptop, i try to use the anti virus software to scan the hdd on the desktop (set up as a mapped drive), the antivirus software won't recognise it.

to Spirit
i have no boot disk capability; the AntiVir does not offer the option of creating a boot disk.

per ardua ad astra

Hola,

thake a look at thread: thread760-1076208

might give you some insights to removing the booger...

Ben

If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer...

If system is blue screened you will not be able to access the HD on the blue screen locked up system. You could remove the HD and put it in a USB adapter then plug it in to your laptop and scan. Bert Pe is for 2k and XP type systems I have used it ok on 98 if you have over 128k ram. UBCD4WIN is a easer Bert Pe to setup.

i was able to remove most the infection by removing the hdd and setting it as a slave in aonther computer and using that computers anti virus software - worked like a charm.

to bigbadben
i read that thread the other day it looked promising to remove the last vestiges of the trojan, it is no longer there - any ideas?

per ardua ad astra

Glad you got most of the SH*T of the HDD...

Check out faq760-4866 and then faq760-3862...

a good DOS based (No OS interference) AntiViral scanner is called FPROT, this progy can be run also from a CD (ie. Bart PE)...

Ben

@strongm - DOS = Disk Operating System... true it is an OS, but since the days of XP not that much used anymore by regular folks and Virus programmers these days... thus a DOS based Viral Scanner is at time superior to Windows based systems (windows can be a hamper on AntiViral Scanning)...

but thanx for pointing out the omitted information for me...

Ben

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back