Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Small Network Setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

pse

Technical User
Jan 29, 2003
US
I will preface this post with the fact that I am all but competer illiterit, and apologize if this is the wrong space to be posting this question.

I have a small company and want to set up a network where we will use one computer (Win '98) as the server with internet access via DSL and the current use of one other computer (Win 2000 Professional), but the chance that we will add 2-5 more in the next year. I already have a router and my office space has all of the LAN wiring already installed.

Any tips on how to go about this? Should I get all of the computers on one OS? What would be best for me? Any and all replies would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

1) Get your router working. Make sure that it's working properly as the gateway btw your xDSL & your Private Lan
2) You can happily plug in almost any common platforms into your router, and if you run out of space, invest in a cheap hub, let the router do the dhcp configuration.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back