Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Small network host a website and sharing internet connections

Status
Not open for further replies.

theresatan

Programmer
Mar 18, 2002
US
Hi,

I have a windows 2000 server and two windows professional in my small network. I use D-link DI604 router to share cable internet connections and it works well.

Now I want to use the windows server to host a website for personal use.At the same time I still want the other two computers can share the internet connection.

How can I know my IP(If Dynamic)? ipconfig does not tell the outside IP at this situation

How to configure the windows 2000 server use the static IP(If I apply a static IP from ISP)?

Any ideas?

Many thanks!

Theresa

on the web - IPchicken - will give you your IP address.

You can get a free DynDNS account to use a dynamic IP with your website.

You'll have to use port forwarding on the router to direct port 80 to your server.

I'm not familiar with your D-link DI604, so I can't give you detailed instructions.

You will probably assign the static IP to the router, if the router is connected to the cablemodem. If the CM is connected to your computer, than simply assign the static IP to the nic that is plugged into your CM.

CM>Router>forward all port 80 requests to the WebServer.
You might want to check with your ISP if they block port 80 for residential accounts, as most do now days. If they do you will most likely have to use a frame url (i.e. You will then need to make sure your router listens on port 85 or whatever port you choose, to forward these requests to your webserver on 80.

whatismyip.com should enable you to find you external IP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back