Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Small Home Network

Status
Not open for further replies.

simsan0874

Programmer
Jul 14, 2004
US
I'm just starting to setup a small home network to do some development on. I have a windows 2000 server and an XP laptop.

I want the server to be a database and web server.

Does anyone have recomendations on the best setup. I have a wireless router that both machines will connect into.

Do I need to have the server act as a DNS? Any other tips?

Thanks.

For a network of that size you don't need to configure a DNS server. Just stick the IPs and computer names in the hosts file. You might want to configure the server to for Internet Connection Sharing and stick Zonealarm (or any other personal firewall) on it.

i have 2 computers: one running windows xp and the other windows 2000 server.
I have them connected to a d-link router. The weird thing is that they can both use my internet connection.
The windows 2000 server sees my windows xp computer but whenever i click on it, it says its not accessible but the computer with windows xp cant see any computer not even will it see a network.
i have checked that they both have the same workgroup membership but that hasnt helped much.
Is there something that i could possibly do to resolve the issue?
right now im installing the serviced pack 4 to make sure that i have all my bases covered.
Please help.
Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back