Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Small Home Network Setup Question - (Need Help Please)

Status
Not open for further replies.

wumagic

IS-IT--Management
Mar 23, 2002
US
I am setting up a small home network to get hands on experience with Cisco routers, I have read all the cisco academy books and I am ready to dive in Which router would suit me best? I am on a Cable Modem Internet Connection and currently running 2 PC's, I will be adding a RS 6000 Server this week...

I am about to purchase either a:

Cisco 2505 router with (2) synchronous serial ports, a console port, and an aux port,with a 8 port 10base-t hub built in. 4mb ram and 4mb flash.....

or

A Cisco 2501 router with(2)synchronous serial ports, a console port, and an aux port, and a AUI based ethernet port. 4mb ram and 4mb flash

Thanks! Appreciate you taking the time to read this and give me your input on my situation

Take Care!

"I'v read all the cisco academy books"

Here is the short version.

2505 is useless for the home lab except for the 2 serial ports.. you can get a Netgear hub for ALOT less money for the port count.

2501 again is useless except for a lab..

So the real problem is how to set up a lab/LAN/network behind the DSL/Cable connection??

internet---DSLmodem--FIREWALL--ROUTER--LAN

The firewall and router can be combined like a used Webramp for under 100 bucks, a new PIX 501 or something like the Linksys DSL router. The Linksys works but supports IP only and is very shaky on the input side of things.

Refined design

internet--DSLmodem--Webramp--Hub--2514--LAN
or
internet--DSLmodem--Webramp--Hub--1605--LAN

The firewall protects you.. the hub gives you a way to hang a server onto the internet without endangering your LAN security or for lab work and the 2514/1605 are dual ethernet so now you can practice access lists, configs etc.. The 2514 has two serial ports so you could have a back to back with a 2nd router out to the internet or back onto the lan for practicing subnetting etc..

Final config-

internet--webramp--hub--2514--lan
|
TerminalServer
|
Ciscolab

Now this is the ultimate lab.. access from both internet AND the lan via the terminal server. LAN security is not compromised too much. Lab is protected by firewall..etc..

MikeS

Find me at
"The trouble with giving up civil rights is that you never get them back"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back