Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Small Business Server4.0 Setup not making sense

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mardawg

MIS
Jul 13, 1999
US
I am attempting to install Microsoft Small Business Server 4.0 on a DELL Poweredge2400 server. The server came fresh the Factory did not install any OS. There is a mirrored set with a Perc2si SCSI controller. When I run the setup process NT 4.0 is installed. When I reboot I get to the splash screen which says BACKOFFICE Small Business Server 4.0. After I log in manually nothing happens. If I try to run sbssetup.exe from the cd the setup files are copied and the server reboots. Setup starts then I get a bluescreen saying inaccessible boot device. I can not get the Small Business Server setup wizard to run so I never have the optin to install any of the other software. I have been unable to find anything in tech net, or on the Microsoft website, or in the readme file with SBS. I am at my wits end and I am afraid my time is running short. PLEASE HELP!!!!!

Have you thought about upgrading to SBS 4.5 its FREE.<br>
I guess you checked the obvious, SCSI terminiation numbers are different for each drive.<br>
Is the SCSI controller on the HCL (Hardware Comp. List)<br>
Made sure you can see both drives in the SCSI boot software.<br>
also is the card auto-terminating<br>
Is the SCSI controller on the motherboard.<br>
Did you call DELL?<br>
did you try to install it on just one drive (Break mirror)<br>
then re-mirror in NT<br>
<br>
Also are you doing FULL install of SBS I had problem with it too (not mirroring) but it won't run right if EVERYTHING is not installed.<br>
And you know NT cannot be installed on a drive larger than 4 GIG<br>
You can have drives larger than 4 gig but not the boot partition.<br>

Dells are touchy machines. The RAID controllers are generally not installed properly on an initial install. What you need to try is getting the PERC2si drivers for NT and rebuild the box. When you boot up to the CD at the point it say checking hardware configuration press the F6 key. This will allow you to install the drivers for the RAID Controller. You can then continue on with the install of NT. This is one of those oddities that occur. I have run into to similar problems installing NT4.0 and Win2000. The only thing is that Win2000 gives you brief moment to press F6 and has a message on the screen where NT4 does not. <p> <br><a href=mailto: oneworld@goes.com> oneworld@goes.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back