Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Small Business Server 2003 installation issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

cjweaser

IS-IT--Management
Jun 7, 2006
US
We just purchased an IBM X series server with SBS 2003 Standard pre-installed. As soon as I boot up the server, the installation continues, but then it stopped and got this error message "This computer cannot be upgraded to the OEM version of Windows Small Business Server". I am not trying to upgrade this server again, it comes with the O/S pre-installed (but not completely installed).

Any advise is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Thanks for the advise. After hassling with IBM support, they found out that the Standard edition is not compatible with the hardware that I customized that's why all the tools and apps that I needed won't install. The IBM was returned and because of poor Customer service I ended up going back to Dell. FYI, this is not a very popular issue, even IBM had a hard time figuring it out.

As a newbie to this forum I have a couple of views to share: -

1) With regards to the original problem, if I read your response correctly, you added additional (non-IBM) hardware to your original configuration? If so then your issue will probably still have occurred with hardware from Dell, Compaq etc.

2) One of the major factors in OS failure is users trying to do things 'on the cheap'. This invariably works out more expensive in the long run. With desktop OS (2000/XP etc) it's not as important, but with server hardware you MUST check the hardware compatibility list. This true with Microsoft, Novell and all flavours of *nix

Anyways, a good post - on a good technical forum...

P.S. Just to be contentious, I would recommend HP/Compaq over IBM any day - and wouldn't consider Dell, even on price

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back