Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SM56 and XP system hang

Status
Not open for further replies.

SmilingAndrew

Technical User
Mar 3, 2004
AU
Hi,

My system hangs if the modem transmits a sustained burst of data (I think that's what hangs it, anyway).

I have a new PC running WinXP Pro (SR1a) - with a Motorola SM56 PCI modem (ATI 3 returns 'SM PCI III Rel.6.05 Si\Sp\O1 Build 0'). Driver is dated mid-october 2003. I can connect to my ISP normally, and it seems fine for normal web browsing and reading email BUT if I try to send an email with a file any bigger than a few kB the system hangs (hardware reset required - no mouse, no keyboard, no ctrl-alt-del, no caps lock light in response to caps lock key press). Same crash happens if I try to run the 'Windows Update' scan for available updates - in that case the system hangs after the scan has found the first available updates and tries to report back to the Microsoft site.

Any ideas?

Cheers,

Andrew.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back