Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SM Reindex Application Files, and/or Closing period is sometimes deleting a file (!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

captsnappy

Programmer
Feb 19, 2009
US
On May 9 as we closed the previous period SBT hung up. Can't remember exactly but it gave a message that closing AR had failed. Turned out it was because it could not locate armast01. Armast01, both dbf and cdx were gone from the data folder. We restored from a cloud backup taken earlier that day and could close then. We scratched our heads vigorously.

Today we used SM Reindex Application Files to reindex just armast01 and artran01. No problems, we thought. THEN we did Reindex Application Files again and chose all the AR files. The process informed us it could not locate arychs01! Both arycsh01.dbf and arycsh01.cdx were not in the folder. (Immediately prior to the first reindex we had copied all AR data files to a subfolder. Both arycsh01 files were in that subfolder and we copied them back to the live folder.)

Our SBT system is on a Windows 2008 R2 Standard server. The workstation in both cases was the same Win7 Pro machine. The Win7Pro machine has both VFP 5.0 and VFP 9 SP2 installed on it. Great care is taken to never open SBT files in VFP9, btw.

/OT
The second reindex process took FOREVER because of whatever SBT does when it copies files to temp files then renames or something because the arytrn01.fpt file copy took so long. It was only 8.8mb, too.
/OT off

In the 20+ years of using SBT continuously we have never experienced something deleting data files. Has anyone had this experience?

Trey Harris
hdb
Houston

I discovered a file, sydilog.dbf, that may help me research this issue. Does any one know what field NDXSTAT means? The technical reference only says "Indexing Status". I find I, N and F values when browsing the table.

Trey Harris
hdb
Houston

Sorry for the unnecessary churning. Looking at the code of smtrnx.prg I see the following:
Code:
*-- Setup status code for log file update
      DO CASE
        CASE ln_result = 0
          *-- No index defined for this file
          lc_ndxstat = "N"

CASE ln_result = -2
          *-- Failed due to conflict with another user
          lc_ndxstat = "C"

CASE ln_result = -1 OR ln_result = -3
          *-- Failed due to missing data file or invalid index expression
          lc_ndxstat = "F"