Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Slwo ArcServer Backup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andr3

IS-IT--Management
Mar 10, 2003
ZA
Hey Everyone
I wonder if anyone can help me. I have a situation where my company's backups are extremely slow. Using Arcserver 2K(SP4), Win2K Server(SP3), HP DDS3 drive.

The thing is, backups start fairly quick but then slow down to ±64Mb/m and this I cant have cause backups take like 36hours to complete. I have tried re-installing ArcServe, all agents, updated Adaptec SCSI drivers, servicing the drive(twice), cleaning and all those happy things.

PLease help with any ideas as I can't think of anything anymore.

Thanks in advance...

Have you recently added or modified the devices on the SCSI bus?

In other words, try leaving your DDS3 the only device on the SCSI bus.

A SCSI bus will only go as fast as the slowest device on your bus. If you recently connected, for example, an old SCSI CD-ROM 4x, then your bus might of dropped from 80Mb/sec to 20 MB/sec to accomodate the new device.

Also, check your SCSI BIOS setting upon boot up (most likely CTRL-A combo at boot up). If it's an Adaptec, usually the Default setting will be good enough, but it should show you all your devices and the maximum throughput each device can go.

Hope this helps.

"In space, nobody can hear you click..."

Another option, try reading thread thread478-578161 .

It has some tips on optimizing your Arcserve.

"In space, nobody can hear you click..."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back