Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sluggish PC's when connected to network.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chrismenzies

Technical User
Oct 2, 2003
GB
I have a network of 40 or so Windows 2000 Pro PC's connecting to a Novell Server (primary) and a Windows 2000 Server. Once a user connects the PC performance is very sluggish and slow.

They all have 10/100 NIC's running at 100mbps and have McAfee VirusScan On-Acces running in the background. However, I can not for the life of me see why the PC's are so slow. Opening a simple file from one of the servers takes about 30 seconds.

What could be causing this sluggish behaviour?

All replies welcome as I at a loss on this one.

My guess would be McAfee VirusScan On-Access. It really does what it says on the box and scans every file you open for a virus.

A quick way to test it would be to get 2 machines next to each other and open the same file, one with On-Access running and one without it.

I'm pretty sure you'll notice the difference!

Obvious things to check are that your server has the speed and duplex forced on both the server and the switch, and also that your PCs are set to auto with the switch ports also set to auto as well (will negotiate to 100Mb Full Duplex as standard).

Easiest way to see if the virus scanner is at fault is to shut it down for a session and then use the PC as normal to see if the speed improves. Don't shut both eserver and workstation copies down at the same time, test them individually. And also ensure that your servers McAfee is set to scan file writes only and not file reads (as the PC virus scanner covers this)

-----------------------------------------------------
"It's true, its damn true!"
-----------------------------------------------------

Good point TheLad, didn't really say to check that option in McAfee just turn it off for a quick test.

If you're not sure where the option is just shout and we'll talk you through it.

Thanks guys

iainwatt
I have tried disabling the McAfee VirusScan but it makes no difference to the PC's performance.

TheLad, iainwatt
Yes, tell me where the settings are for the Server's McAffee read and write scanning.

Hello Chris,

If you save the files to the hard drive of the computer does it open faster, does it open faster when the machines are removed from the network?

Are you using hubs or switches? If you put one server and one machine on a switch or hub together does the same symptoms occur?

This will help you determine if it is the client machines that are slow. If you eliminate the client machine with the first test above (opening a file on the local machine off the network). Then you need to determine if the switch/hub(s) are bad. If they are not then it leaves the servers or the network traffic. You might have a lot of AD traffic or other network traffic happening.

CJ

Don't drink and post, save that for driving home!

OK guys.

I am thinking now that it could be the McAffee NetShield that is running on ther Novell Netware 5 Server, therefore I will take my queries over to the Novell forum.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back