Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Slowing down internet connection : Possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

marthirial

IS-IT--Management
Jan 29, 2005
US
Contrasting with the 629,000 results about Accelerate internet connection, I am able to find 0 info about slowing down the connection. Am I insane? no, here is the reason.

I am testing a website in different browsers/systems but have no way to test it in those same environments in different speed connections.

I connect with DSL and would like to test the page in 33Kbps, 56Kbps, even 14Kbps.

Does anybody know about a software or trick to emulate these speeds without the "borrow a friend's computer to test" approach?

Thanks

Just estimate it from the total size of the pages.

View the Speed Report from the Web Developer Toolbar in Firefox. (or by going directly to:
If you really want it to run reasonably at 14kbps, just strip all non-essential images from it - it's going to be slow. Use external css styles to reduce the page size (the first time it runs will be slower because it has to load the external sheet, but every time after that will be faster.)

traingamer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back