Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Slow Wireless with Netgear WN604

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 7, 2007
US
New office setup for a customer. Wireless isn't nearly as fast as I would expect. Suspecting the access point. But WHY? What to check? Latest router firmware installed. Speed tests done within three feet of access point.

Comcast 50/10 business class internet Motorola SB6121 Modem >> Cisco RV042 router >> Netgear WN604 Access Point

Speedtest.comcast.net download speed results from OFFICE:
My old laptop with ethernet connection: 59Mbps
My old laptop with wireless G card: 18Mbps
New laptop with wireless N card: 19Mbps
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Speedtest.comcast.net download speed results from my HOME with Comcast 30/6 service and old wireless G router
My old laptop with ethernet connection: 30Mbps
My old laptop with wireless G card 22.45Mbps

So, my home connection is getting a much higher percentage of theoretical maximum download speed than what would be expected of more modern equipment at the office. The WN-604 is supposed to be able to do Wireless N speeds of 150Mbps but I'd just like to see it closer to the Comcast speed of 50Mbps. What up?

"Living tomorrow is everyone's sorrow.
Modern man's daydreams have turned into nightmares.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back