Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Slow Web Traffic Cisco 1721 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rastor

IS-IT--Management
Oct 8, 2003
US
I am getting a significant lag, or delay, in getting to ALL web pages from my network to our T1 Line. This is a new Cisco 1721 and these problems persist whether I have/use access lists (firewall conf) or not. Any suggestions or ideas to track this down. Here is my config file that was "suggested" by my ISP, although they have never worked with a Cisco 1721 before. Previous router (Bay Networks 1000) failed and this was similar configuration.(IP Numbers have been changed to protect the innocent)

PLEASE HELP....

version 12.2
service timestamps debug uptime
service timestamps log uptime
service password-encryption
!
hostname XXX123
!
enable secret
!
ip subnet-zero
!
!
!
!
!
!
interface Ethernet0 (WAN CONNECTION)
description connected to Internet
ip address 111.111.238.250 255.255.255.252
half-duplex
!
interface FastEthernet0 (LAN CONNECTION)
description connected to EthernetLAN
ip address 222.222.52.1 255.255.254.0
speed auto
!
router rip
version 2
passive-interface Ethernet0
network 222.222.0.0
no auto-summary
!
ip classless
ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 Ethernet0
ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 111.111.238.249
ip route 222.222.52.0 255.255.254.0 FastEthernet0 permanent
!
line con 0
exec-timeout 0 0
password xxxxx
login
line aux 0
line vty 0 1
password xxxxxx
login
line vty 2 4
login
!
no scheduler allocate
end

Can you give us the show int on this router, and does this have one of the internal CSU/DSU cards? show service-module
could really help too.

I'll make the assumption that you verified it wasn't some other kind of problem IE cabling, or lag with DNS resolution, etc.

I see a few things that I'd check out. Why are you connected to the WAN via a half-duplex connection? If you can bump that up to full-duplex with your carrier, then I'd suggest you do so. That will help a lot.

The second thing I'd check would be the auto setting you have on your LAN interface. Is this connected to a switch or hub? Either way, I'd hard code this link. Auto negotiation is horrible. Use full-duplex speed 100 if you can. If not, find the setting that best works for you. Auto is not the way to go. Try those out and see how your network responds.

"I can picture a world without war. A world without hate. A world without fear. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it."
- Jack Handey, Deep Thoughts

Thanks, the Full Duplex Settings worked......

Thank you.

"I can picture a world without war. A world without hate. A world without fear. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it."
- Jack Handey, Deep Thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back