Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

slow web access with linux (windows OK)

Status
Not open for further replies.

franklin97355

Technical User
Jul 11, 2002
US
I have a system with two drives, one has linux (SUSE 10) and the other has windows xp pro. The system is connected to a Linksys dsl router that provides the IP and routing info. When I'm running windows websites come up in one or two seconds but in linux it may take ten to thirty seconds for the same pages to render. I get a message on the status line "looking up <website>". Both systems are using Firefox to test. I'm thinking it may have something to do with DNS but the numbers look the same on both OS's. Any ideas?

The answer is "42"

I have a similar setup although the os's are on seperate machines.
Is you router acting as a default gateway on the linux os?
Does /etc/resolv.conf have the ip of the router?
Check /etc/nsswitch.conf for
hosts: files dns

&quot;If you always do what you've always done, you will always be where you've always been.&quot;

It does sound like a name resolution problem. To test if this really is the case, look at a site you know the ip address to from both drive...

If it is DNS:
Check to see that your window's drive is using the same DNS server as your Linux box. Try adding additional DNS servers to resolv. At the University, my rule of thumb is to use 2 internal (University run DNS servers) and one governmental/military. The idea is that if something bizzar happens and the University loses all it's DNS servers, the goverment probably won't.

If not:
Check to see if the gateway is explictly listed. I noticed that with Knoppix, where the gateway is "automagically probed" the machine is slower then on the native linux installation where it's specified in the startup scripts. Also, you may want to set the machine to have a static internal (192.168.*, 172.16.* or 10.0.*) IP, instead of pulling it from the router or DHCP server... May speed somethings up.

Another thing to check is try a traceroute in both Linux and Windows and see if there is some odd stop when running Linux.

[plug=shameless]
[/plug]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back