Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Slow WAN: Need Metrics

Status
Not open for further replies.

GGleason

Technical User
Mar 22, 2001
US
This is my cry for help.

My function in the company where I work (and I have been working here less than 3 months) is a system administrator for a software suite. I am not a network guy and know only a little about them. I am not sure I am even posting this in the correct forum! We are going to access files from another site that is in another state via our WAN.

I have doubts that when we go “live” with a new project, that our WAN may not have enough bandwidth to support the effort. The issue about getting more bandwidth is highly political in our organization and I cannot ask senior management unless we have solid metrics to support my doubts. We have a network team but I am somewhat removed from them. However, I believe they are willing to help if I ask them to provide “x, y, and z”.

I don’t know where to start on this but I now believe it my job to come up with some answers on this issue and fast.

Can anyone provide me with a “road map” on what to look for, or what tests to perform?

Thanks in advance,
GGleason

Please we are not mind readers on this forum.
Just a little info might help...

For starters...
What is the project? What software is involved
What bandwidth do you now have?
Internally, has your cabling been checked? Anything on the network which would produce excess packets, because problems go across the WAN.
Do you have multiple active directory sites.
Are your finance and manpower adequate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back