Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

slow vpn with sbs2003

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaulGillespie

Technical User
Jul 2, 2002
GB
Hi Guys, (ive also postedthis in the vpn forum but i think it is relavent here too)

I've just set up a new SBS 2003 server and ran the remote access wizard. The VPN works fine but it is very slow. The server has 1 nic and connects to the internet through a firewall and has a 512K connection. When i VPN in from my home (2MB cable) it is suprisingly slow. SBS2000 seems faster.

When i look at the servers desktop i go to task manager and in the networking tab, i see an entry for a RAS server Dial interface and the link speed is 28kbps.

I am thinking this might be the reason for my slowness. Can i change this anywhere?

Cheers!

not that this helps but I have the same problem.

When I administer the server through remote destop, all seems fine. When I attempt to access network resources (such as listing the files in a directory) it is painfully slow.

I managed to get it sorted.

I added a second nic, put it on a different subnet and connected the router to that NIC on same address range.

That speeded up the VPN to an acceptable speed.

Get in touch if you need more info.

Paul

Hey guys, i've set up the SBS 2003 server with 1 NIC behind a NAT gateway device. I have the PPTP ports forwarded from the NAT device to the server. I ran the remote access wizard on the server. However, when i try connecting i am not able to. If i try accessing the server directly through remote desktop i can but not VPN.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back