Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Slow VPN Connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

jasonb007

Technical User
Apr 2, 2001
GB
I have a Windows 2003 server (HP Proliant with two NICS which are teamed). I have configured RRAS on it. I have setup my router to allow for the RRAS port (1723 I think!). When using my XP laptop, I can conenct to my server remotley (which is almost instant connection) and browse the mapped drives (after about 10 seconds after connection). Both ends using an 8MB Broadband connection. However, when a run my accounts package (Sage), it runs painfully slow. In the office, no problems with speed. Also opening up a Word document seems to take a long time. Any ideas as to why the slow speed?

Unless you have extreme bandwidth, you asking for major corruption running any large program over a vpn connection. To run major programs you need super bandwidth (which is extremely costly/impractical) or a Terminal Server. If you use Terminal server and VPN, you will have very fast/secure access to SAGE or any other major program.

Chernobyl disaster..a must see pictorial

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back