Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Slow Upload Speed

Status
Not open for further replies.

jessehc

IS-IT--Management
Jun 22, 2005
US
I have a WRT45G router connected to a Motorolla Surf Board cable modem (SB5101) and in this configuration my upload speed (from dsl reports speed tests) is much lower than it should be. When I connect my PC directly to the cable modem, I can get upload speeds of around 450Kbps. I am able to run multiple tests to get this speed. As soon as I connect the router to the modem and my PC to the router, the speed goes down to under 100Kbps.

I reset the router to defaults and re-tested and received the same results. I even swapped out the router with a WRT54GL router with defaults and experienced the same problem.

Recently Road Runner increased my connection speed so I would go from 2.5Mbps to 5Mbps. This is when the problem started to occur. Before the upgrade I was able to consistently get an upload speed of 350Kbps with the router or just the PC connected.

I called Road Runner but they just pointed me to an internal speed test they use the showed speeds of 450Kbps. I can't understand why with their test the speed is fine with the router but all of the tests on DSL reports show a much slower speed. And, my PC connected directly to the modem gets the 450Kbps on all speed tests?

Does anyone have a ideas or suggestions?

Thanks,

Jesse

don't think this is it, but under your internet connection type (router interface>setup--internet connection type. There is a choice of telstra cable. You may have already tried this. It is set to automatic configuration DHCP by defalt.

borrow a router from a friend.

Might need to buy a new one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back