Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Slow to bring up printer selection box and doesn't print correctly

Status
Not open for further replies.

koresnordic

IS-IT--Management
Nov 28, 2002
GB
HI all,

The MD currently has a HP 2300 directly connected to his computer (parallel). He only prints from IE 7, as he only uses his computer to access remote e-mail. The printer is in his office to allow him to print sensitive mail. The problem is that when he asks for a print, via the ctrl-p option, the print selection screen takes a while to come up (can be several mins). There isn't always a problem, which makes it harder to track down. If there is a delay, then the print when it comes out is not correct - the text is printed very small and it cuts off the right hand side of the text (word wrap seems to be about an inch off the side of the paper). However if the screen comes up in a normal amount of time, then the print works perfectly. If he just presses the print button (which send it to his default, which is a network printer next to his PA), there is not problem at all.

I have tried un-installing the printer and installing using the latest drivers from HP. I have removed all the printers bar this one (making it the default) - which still slows it down. I have also turned off the Windows firewall to see if this affected it, to no avail.

He has never had this working properly, as we have just been "resized" and this is the first time he has had his own computer & printer (don't ask..)

The computer is running XP Pro SP3, but is not very powerful, as he only uses it for e-mail.

btw, when this printer was attached to his PA's computer (also xp pro sp3), there was not this problem.

Thx for reading this far.

[pc]

Graham

well, im sure you know this, but why not just file-print?
also, is it usb capable?
what version of office?

file > print has the same effect. The printer itself is quite old and has no usb ports. the version of office installed is 97 (again I know!!) with IE 7

[pc]

Graham

What about going under the properties of the printer, Advanced tab.
Mess around with the Spool print documents settings. Best option is probably Start Printing immediately.

Hi again Rob,

The problem isn't the time it takes to print, that is quick once he hsa selected the printer. The problem is the time it takes to be able to select the printer and the misprinting of the page. Thx for the thoughts anyway

[pc]

Graham

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back