Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Slow startup on Acquiring Network Address with XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

aluthfi

IS-IT--Management
May 4, 2005
CN
Hi all,

I have a problem with my computer, XP system.
I am connected to internet through LAN and using automatic IP address provided by DHCP server.
Actually it works, but it's a rather disturbing that everytime I turn on my computer then it will startup slowly. It happen due to process of acquiring network address. It always takes about 3 minutes for this acquiring network address. It finally doesn't get the adress because my connection needs password for authentication. I use 3rd party software for this authentication. And then everything works fine, but do you guys have suggestion to make the startup process faster?

Thank you in advance,
Luthfi

Thank you Lemon13 and Ben,

but the case is I may not use static IP, because my internet provider use DHCP server.
I don't know what xp do when acquiring network address. maybe that will be a clue to bypass something in the process?

Without fully understanding your setup. I would look for "I use 3rd party software for this authentication" answers in this area. If I understand you correctly you are using PPPoE handled through the 3rd party software. If this is not the case. What changed in your environment?
G8orade

but the case is I may not use static IP, because my internet provider use DHCP server.
your PC is not hooked up through a ROUTER to DSL?

normal setup: PC hooks up to Router over ethernet (LAN), the router hooks up to the phone line (or cable)... DHCP server is installed on the router which gives the IP to the PC as it connects (or boots up)... this holds true for modems (which are connected per ethernet to the PC) but that does not seem the case in your situation...

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.

Without fully understanding your setup. I would look for "I use 3rd party software for this authentication" answers in this area. If I understand you correctly you are using PPPoE handled through the 3rd party software. If this is not the case. What changed in your environment?
G8orade, I don't really understand about networking. I don't know what PPPoE is. It seems that the case is the same like Ben said. I'm only a user. my PC hooks up to router over LAN. But the server needs us to pass a password before provide my PC with internet connection (means providing dynamic IP address?).
Today I check Windows Task Manager to see what processes came up in startup. There are several software loaded. When I stop services for those software then restart again, it doesn't affect much. That's why I suspect that the problem is in networking initialization. Even if I change my setting to use static IP, startup is still going slow. I reinstall my networking card but still the same.

When I stop services for those software then restart again...

If you stop an automatic service and then reboot the service will attempt to start again on reboot. To properly test you should stop the relevant services that you want to and set the starting of the relevant services to manual. That way they won't attempt to start on reboot.

Cheers.

Yes, I have set to manual and disable several services and uninstall some softwares, but still my startup run slow. Now I'm not quite sure whether this slow startup happen due to networking, but LAN status icon is the last icon appear in my icon tray.

in my task manager, there are several process now
iexplore.exe
msimn.exe
msmsgs.exe
ctfmon.exe
igfxsrvc.exe
igfxpers.exe
hkcmd.exe
RTHDCPL.exe
agrsmsvc.exe
explorer.exe
spoolsv.exe
svchost.exe
svchost.exe
svchost.exe
AuthenMngService.exe
svchost.exe
svchost.exe
svchost.exe
H3C Client.exe
lsass.exe
services.exe
avgrsx.exe
winlogon.exe
csrss.exe
smss.exe
Ymsgr_tray.exe
alg.exe
System
System Idle Process

I don't have any idea which one affecting more consider my problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back