Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

slow starting builder

Status
Not open for further replies.

quasin00b

Programmer
May 1, 2002
AU
I've just installed bcb5. It works fine, but it takes a VERY long time to start each time. I've used the -ns and -np switches to try to help speeding it up to no avail. It also takes a while to close BCB (the icon remains in the taskbar for a few seconds).

It's a big program. How fast is your processor? Cyprus
[noevil]

If your processor is slow, try eliminating any un-needed programs that are running in the background. My BCB5 loads in less than 2 seconds, but then I am using a fast motherboard and hardware. Also Win98 is a bit slow and Win2k loads and runs faster. What hardware and OS are you using? Maybe we can offer some tips on how to go faster.:-D Regards from Bluewater on the Great Barrier Reef.

Windows Millenium, 800 mhz.. I might try defragging?

you could try. it might help. Windows 2000 is really good at memory management. If you can survive the upgrade. I upgraded from ME to 2K. It took about a week to get everything upgraded, but it was worth it. Just make sure to get the upgrades from microsoft.com before you install Cyprus
[noevil]

I have W98SE (800MHz) at home and I don't notice any big difference in loading BCB from my NT box at the office. BTW, has anyone tried CTRL+SHIFT when starting BCB 5 to see the Easter Eggs? James P. Cottingham

I am the Unknown lead by the Unknowing.
I have done so much with so little
for so long that I am now qualified
to do anything with nothing.

Never heard that one, I just tried it but got no result...

But since we're on the topic...
you can type ALT+ the word "GUNGLA" in the Help->About box and get a somewhat interresting result. You can also type "DEVELOPERS" I think, to get a list of credits. Theres a few more, but none entertaining. Cyprus
[noevil]

lmao, whoever would have thought of putting that there??
How do you do the ctrl+shift one? [pc3]

Press CTRL and SHIFT when clicking on the BCB executable or shortcut. There are several different start-up (RAMPAGE) screens (some w/ sound) so you may have to try this several times.
James P. Cottingham

I am the Unknown lead by the Unknowing.
I have done so much with so little
for so long that I am now qualified
to do anything with nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back