Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Slow start up of Quark

Status
Not open for further replies.

DigitalChick

Technical User
Dec 17, 2003
US
I am on a Mac G4 computer running OS 10.2.8. I have 768 mb of RAM. Sometimes when I start up Quark, it literally takes 2 minutes to start up (I've timed it). This doesn't happen all the time... I'd say about 50% of the time. Any ideas? It drives me crazy.

Julie

Do you launch Quark when you boot your computer or at another point after? Do you have any other programs that are activated to launch on start up? Is it a version of Quark that requires Classic to run? All of these may be factors in causing Quark to boot slowly, if the problem does not reside with Quark.

For example, if both QuarkXpress and a font manager (such as Extensis FontSuitcase) are both checked in your start-up panel to launch at the same time when your computer boots up, it could take a while for the system to return control to you. If your version of Quark requires Classic to be active when you launch it, your system will begin running Classic under the OS X shell and finish the launch of Quark when Classic is finished.

In this example, the system is launching two applications and running a check on the font database at the same time. And if your version of Quark is 5.0 or earlier, Classic is also being launched at startup (or whenever Classic is inactive when you launch Quark.

If it's just Quark all on its own, I'm afraid I don't have an immediate answer. Could be Quark may be going through a long list of checks (for XTensions, for example) or is looking for something that isn't always available at launch time, but is not required to run the program.

Brady

Hi Brady! Dang it... I'd meant to post I was using Quark 6, but I forgot. And this problem did not happen when I was using Quark 5.
I usually launch Quark after I start up. I do use Suitcase (v 10.2) and it starts up automatically when I start up the computer.
I don't think Quark requires the Classic environment to be running when I launch it. I'll double check that, but I'm pretty sure it has nothing to do with Classic.
Anyway, thanks for your input. I appreciate it.

Julie

Similar situation here on G4/400, OSX10.2.8, QX6.1 Suitcase 10.2.2. It just seems to sit laughing at me whether I launch from the dock or via a QX doc.
Have had to reinstall QX6 several times on this particular setup as well as it keeps corrupting
I have a feeling Suitcase X1 might resolve these issues as it says for OSX10.2.6 and up on the back of the box...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back