Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Slow speed on vpn (linksys befvp41 v2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

zhivago39

Technical User
Feb 1, 2005
NO
Hi, I hope someone can help me with this:

I have two Linksys Befvp41 v2 vpn routers connected, one at work and one at home. Office connection is 2mb/448 kb and home connection is 756/128.
Vpn tunnel is working and I can browse and ping the network at the office (round trip time 30 ms)
Now, the problem is that it is just too slow. I tested it by transferring a 2 mb file from office to home, and this took 1 minute, which means around 33 kb/s.
Can anybody help me with a suggestion how to increase the speed of this connection?

What type of work are you trying to do over the VPN? Opening word/excel doc’s, transfer files, etc. or open Access type databases or run an application? The larger the file the slower the transmission rate. VPN’s are always significantly slower than working locally. For the bandwith #’s you gave your transfer from work to home is about right. However, transfer in the opposite direction will be slower because your upload speed is only 128 at home. But if most of the packets being transferred are coming from work this shouldn’t be too much of a problem. Note however that if these links are used for other traffic such as HTTP (web) then that too will cause the bandwidth to decrease. VPN’s are convenient and helpful in theory but unless you have patience or the $$$ to pay for increased bandwidth they are pretty ineffective for the avg. small business user. The only real way to increase your speed is to increase bandwidth on both ends.

VPNs are not designed for large file transfers. It is a secure connection with a humungous overhead. If you need to transfer large files, setting up a secure ftp session is a much better idea.

Computer/Network Technician
CCNA

Slow speed????

Help, New to VPN...
Trying to share an excel file. File size 3MB

VPN Setup...
Work Side....
Windows XP Pro - Running built in VPN
Netgear 10/100 Hub
Linksys Router
Cable Modem

(Testing Environment)-Home Side is basically the same.
The office setups are similar with the exception of using DSL, I hope this doesn't create an issue later!

The connection appears to connect pretty fast!
The network locations open pretty fast!
When I try to open the excel file, excel opens, but the spreadsheet does not load. Always get an error when I click the 'X' to close excel.

Once I just let it go, eventually the spreadsheet loaded, but when I tried to navigate, excel was frozen. Had to click the 'X' to close and exit excel. Error again!

Not sure how to test upload/download speeds to assist any further.
The 'VPN Server' - Windows XP Pro
is running a 600 Mhz CPU with 128MB Ram
at this time no other users are using this PC to access or use any files via network or any other means.(Testing) Once setup and running, It will have 3-4 local network users logged into the file, and VPN access for 2-3 remote offices.

FYI
The excel file is setup for multi-users...
I'm slowly converting this file into an access db with a front-end and back-end. I tried to load this work-in-progress and had the same results as above. Access Froze!

We are on a very limited budget...
Any suggestions, Please.....

AccessGuruCarl
Programmers helping programmers
you can't find a better site.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back