Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

slow slow network ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

jed79

Programmer
Jul 30, 2002
US
Hi,

We recently setup a domain. We have a box with dual xeons as the domain controller, and around 30 workstations running windows xp pro. We used to have a simple peer-to-peer setup...worked ok, difficult to manage permissions etc.

Now that we have the domain, accessing file via mapped drives takes a painfully long time....any tips on where to start looking? Are there any configs that I might tweak on the server?

Thanks for your help.

I had loads of trouble with xp clients connecting to shared drives on 2K servers - a long delay beforehand. Only solution i found ( that works) was to disable the Web Client service on the XP machines.

Make sure the XP systems are not constantly forcing Master Browser resets in the DOmain. XP likes to be the Master Browser, and need to be locked out.

I have seen a lot of posts on various boards lately concerning XP being really slow on browsing, so much so that clients scream to be taken back to their old 98 systems. Do not hav a good solution to tell you, but do check and turn off being the master browser in the XP registry.

HTH

David

do you know how to turn off being the master browser in xp?

make sure the workstation's DNS prefixes point to the DNS server and prefix's on the system properties as well.

Josh McMahon
A+ Certified,CCNA
jmcmahon@lexgen.com

You might want to look at

thread96-664508

Good luck.

Glen A. Johnson
"Fall seven times, stand up eight."
Proverb

Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back