Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

slow shared directory tree with XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

eway

Technical User
Feb 3, 2002
US
When I click on the top level of a folder on a 95 machine from XP it can be very slow before I can see anything. If the shared folder has sub folders, then all the sub folders are slow too. Anyone knows what causes this, better yet how to solve it?

Thanks

I have the same problem. Just upgraded all my win98 machines to XP and this "problem" shows up. I think it is actually just a visual element. With win98 when you would browse it would you could see the file lis building as it was cachine the names. With XP I am pretty sure that it waits until it has the entire contents of the folder cached before it will display the file names. All Complaints Will Be Routed To /dev/null

Naaaaaa

I got a 1.7gig mhz machine with 500meg ram and it happens to me.

If this computer isn't fast enough to get a snappy dropdown list..then please tell me what is???

I think it's a reg setting

my2cents

I know how to solve this. XP when connecting to a shared folder decides to check for scheduled tasks on the remote machine, which consumes time. So to solve this make this simple adjustment to the registry:

Find:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Explorer/RemoteComputer/NameSpace]

And remove key called {D6277990-4C6A-11CF-8D87-00AA0060F5BF}.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back