Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SLOW server

Status
Not open for further replies.

danno74

IS-IT--Management
Nov 13, 2002
US
Our W2k SQL enterprise server over the past 6-9 months has been dogging it BIG TIME! When I log in remotely, it takes at least 20-30 minutes for the desktop to come up. The same happens when you reboot the server.

Under task manager the SQL server service is taking up maybe 0-15% of the CPU at any given time, we have 150 people, 10-20 who do reporting and most of the rest who use a company intranet whose data is stored here. The "services.exe" takes about 50% of the CPU regularly. Any idea why that is?

Also, winlogin.exe take 10-25%, lsass.exe takes 10-25%. It seems these three fight over the 100% CPU available, because they often equal that.

How many instances of services.exe are running in Task Manager?

How much memory do you have? your asking a lot from an SQL server, with Terminal services, 150 users.

On you broadband lines have you checked for lost packets along the way, use the Pathping command from office to the remote, and from the remote to the main office. Adjust the router/system MTU if necessary.

Chernobyl disaster..a must see pictorial

I'll get back to you on the services.exe, it takes 30 minutes to connect over remote desktop and I have to leave in 10.

I thas 1.5 GB RAM. It's a dual processor P3 Xeon IBM x250. It doesn't have 150 people hitting it alot, I would say really 20 people really working on it, 150 have access but don't hit it much.

I'm in the office when I connect remotely. I can use pingpath from a cmd prompt on the server?

30 minutes.. UGH, via vpn tunnel, and using port 3389...at all my clients the login screen comes up in seconds, logins take 5 seconds

Pathping "IP of remote endpoint machine" , from the CMD, from the server.
It show the router paths, and any losses at particular router along the route.
If the MTU is set correctly, you should have few if any packet losses. Incorrectly set, poor login ability, slow login, black screens, disconnections.

If you do have losses, get TCP Optimizer to test for the correct MTU size

Your shy on the memory.. especially with both SQL and Terminal server. You know SQL will absorb as much machine memory as available.. on multifunction server, I go into the SQL management and limit how much memory SQL gets to use.

Chernobyl disaster..a must see pictorial

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back