Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

slow reboots after installing Director 3.1

Status
Not open for further replies.

tsgdgcs

Technical User
Dec 17, 2002
GB
We are getting slow reboot times after installing the director client on Xseries servers especially X360's
These rebbot times occur about 25% of the time and can run into hours. Removing the director client restores reboot times back to normal. Has anybody else experienced this problem?

Are the Servers SAN Attached. i.e. to an IBM FastT Controller.

The Director Services are not system or boot services so they should not affect the actual boot times, they will however slow down the final part of the boot (ie after the Logon Box is displayed) as the services start.

Try Reapplying the Windows Service Pack after installing the director agent.

N

The servers are connected to the SAN via a FastT controller, however we removed the FastT controller to eliminate this as the cause of the problem. The problem was so bad that we have taken Director off all of our servers.
You are correct its the startup of services that takes an eternity following a reboot. I'll try installing director on a test machine and reapply the service pack.

If by slow boot you mean it takes a while for the DeskTop to appear, this is a Microsoft problem - you'll probably notice some WinMgmt and/or PerfDisk erros in the Event Viewer. You can read a bunch of Microsoft Knowledge Base articles to fix it , or make the following Registry edits:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\PerfDisk\Performance\Open Timeout REG_DWORD 45000 (Decimal)
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\PerfDisk\Performance\Collect Timeout REG_DWORD 10000 (Decimal)
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\PerfDisk\Performance\WbemAdapStatus REG_DWORD 0 (Decimal)
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WBEM\CIMOM\ADAPPerflibTimeout REG_DWORD 180 (Decimal)

I have re-installed Director 3.1 and applied the service pack. This has made no difference. Still getting appalling startup times(sometimes several hours). Removing Director solves the problem. I will try IBM support(again), but I am not hopeful of a quick solution.

Please try one of the followings.

1.IBM Director has a startup delay of 60 seconds. You can
try changing the delay by editing the registry key:

hkey_local_machine\software\tivoli\director\currentversion\startupdelay

2.Are there any other applications which load at startup?Such as anti-virus program. If yes, try setting these applications to manual and Director to automatic.

What Director services are being used. We have Director 3.1.1 on 24 (from 5500's, 7600's, x255's, x345's, 6000's, x350's, even an HP, NT, 2K, 2K Advanced, Linux) of our servers and about 500 W/S and have never had any issues with the booting speed or control issues.

Did you try the Registry edits I provided? What were your results? As a minimum, you should see the perfdisk & winmgmnt errors go away, but if your running Terminal Services, the desktop takes a long time to load.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back