Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Slow printing on XP home networking

Status
Not open for further replies.

Foxtech

Programmer
May 26, 2001
CA
Hi everyone,

My application is written in FoxPro for DOS v2.6a and running under XP home networking with a router/5 ports (1 sever + 2 clients). I developped a new function that allow to print the label on the sharing printer LTP2.

On the client1 I added a parallele printer card LPT2 and define LPT2 sharing name LPT2.

On the client2 I used the command below
NET USE LPT2: \\client1\LPT2 /persistent:yes

In C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM.INI I added the lines below
[NetWork]
PrintBufTime = 5
[IFSMGR]
PrintBufTime = 5

Under WIN/98 it printed very fast but NOT WIN/XP, the label seemed to hang-out and wait until the next label print out.

I need some information how to solve this problem. Please advise.

thanks a lot
FoxTech

Hi,

After printing your label with LABEL FORM ... TO PRINTER, add the command SET PRINTER TO. There have been many threads on this topic, some of them advise to use SET PRINTER TO twice. I hope it works for you.

On LPT2 (and 3) "SET PRINT TO" does not function.
For "close" print job you have to do this:

lnLPTPort=2
lnHandle = fopen('LPT'+str(lnLPTPort,1),11)
=fclose(lnHandle)

I have experienced a similar problem when the computer sharing the printer was still running win98 and printing from a computer running XP.
If so upgrade the print sharing computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back