Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Slow performance restoring with Datacenter 3.4.1

Status
Not open for further replies.

RLE

IS-IT--Management
Sep 18, 2002
ES
I´m having performance troubles restoring Red Hat 7.1 clients from one W2k server. The backup speed is OK, but restore is too slow.
Can anyone tell me links to documentation about it?

RLE

Tell us a little about your setup. How was the system backed up? Compression/Multiplex/Multithread... Tape Technology (LTO/SDLT...). How many files are you trying to restore; a lot of small ones or just a few big ones? Network speed, 10/100/1000? Full Duplex?

A lot can effect restore processes. What I usually tell my customers is changes you do to increase the speed that the system backes up, there is a negitive effect to restoring the system. Not a one for one, but there is an effect.

I have two NetBackup servers, one´s a Linux Red Hat 7.1 and the other one´s a Windows 2000 Server, and a library with two LTO drives. The servers network speed are 1000, and the clients 100. They backup more than 100 clients with a lot of small files (more than 2 millions in a full backups in most cases). I´ve tried to backup without compression nor multiplexing and restores are still too slow.
Can you give me any advice?

Thank in advance.

Hi RLE

I had a similar problem with AIX and SUN unix servers.A backup that ran for 3 hours took 30 hours to retore (60 gigs). Try tuning the following parameters.

NET_BUFFER_SZ
SIZE_DATA_BUFFERS
NUMBER_DATA_BUFFERS
NUMBER_DATA_BUFFERS_RESTORE
Read up technote id: 183702
site :
After tuning these parameters I restored the same server in 3 hours.

NB : Improvements in backups noted too

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back