Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Slow performance on Windows XP with GW5.5

Status
Not open for further replies.

hunphu

Programmer
Jun 25, 2003
AU
Hi everyone,

I am having a niggling problem whereby systems with Windows 2K or Windows XP installed on it have extremely slow Groupwise performance.

This is especially apparent when trying to open attachments that are of a decent size (size > 1mb). The attatchment transfers around 50kb/s on a fully switched 100mbit network.

Normal file transfers (from home directories, etc) are fine and run at full speed.

PC's of the same model, with the same network card, but running Windows NT SP6a run Groupwise at full speed.

I know this is a tough one, but I'm hoping someone out there will have encountered this before, and have a quick fix!

Thanks in advance for your help,
Michael.

What version of the Novell Client are you running? Or are you running Microsoft's Client for Novell?

we are running groupwise 6.0 and having the same experience - are you implying that the slowness might be related to the novell client?

I've had problems with this and the NTWMS install fixed it.
Try do0wnloading and installing it, then reinstall 5.5.
Also, are you running in a pure IP envornment? The 4.9 client for XP installs IP only by default whereas the earlier clients installed IP and IPX (at least I'm pretty sure they did) if your server runs both, try a custom install of the client and chose IP and IPX.
Good luck.

We are running a Netware 4.11 Server, and we are currently running both IP and IPX as Netware 4.11 has a flaky implementation of pure IP.

All our PC's are running NWClient 4.83, however I have also tried using Groupwise on a PC without any Novell or Microsoft Netware clients installed.

Perhaps it is something else that is interfering with the networking goings on?

Any ideas?

Something we have found in XP Pro that for some reason has causes grief with both the 5.5 and 6.0 Groupwise environment is the Microsoft Web Client service. By running MSCONFIG, going to the Services tab and deselecting WEB CLIENT, the performance of the Groupwise on the XP Pro workstations has been much more responsive. Don't have all the details as to why this works yet, but have two MCNEs investigating. Will post when we find something out.

Thanks for the advice, Janderegg, I gave it a try but without any change as yet.

Looks like this is going to be one of those annoying problems that has an obscure solution, unfortunately!

Another setting that has been extremely helpful on the XP Pro workstations having Groupwise performance issues:

My Computer, Properties, Advanced, Performance, change the setting to Adjust for Best Performance, apply.

All of my Engineers have made this setting adjustment and the Groupwise is behaving much better.

Good Luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back