Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Slow performance caused by two datasets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pete56

Programmer
Aug 29, 2001
US
I am using Crystal 10 against a SQL Server or DBF file using ODBC drivers. When I write reports I want to be able to put an image on the top and the image varies. I decided to store the image in an Access DB and access it via an ODBC driver as well. The end result might be 2-3 files that are linked together and then this SystemSettings.mdb file that has my logo in it. It is not linked to anything, just sits out there by itself. I put the image in the header and run the report. I get a warning that the files aren't all linked together when I leave the database expert but the reports work fine. I have been having performance problems with some reports and discovered that if I take away the mdb file and do not put the image on the report the report will run about 100 times faster - no exaggeration.

1. Does anyone know why an uncoonected mdb file with one table and one record in it would slow this down?
2. Does anyone have a suggestion on how to put the image on the report. The image is defined in a system set up process. It is a logo that a customer provides and the reports are all the same but I want the customer's logo to be on the report based on their setup.

Thanks.

Pete

Place the image in a subreport rather than the main report.

Crystal doesn't allow for 2 datasources, although you can cheat it as you're doing here, but it's ill advised and as you know, slow.

When designing reports remember that Crystal works with ONE dataset only, so everything is joined, or you have subreports, or it's wrong.

-k

Hi,
In fact, including an object from an unlinked datasource may cause it to be fetched every time a new record is returned..similar to a cartesian join..

[profile]

In fact, that is exactly the problem I've found out. I want to include the object in the page header. Can I use a subreport for this?

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back