Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Slow on Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

pepperca

Programmer
Mar 7, 2002
US
I have an Access database that is loaded on a pc but links a couple of tables from a server. Most of the processing does not use these linked tables. When I run this program from home with no links in runs in about 1 hour. With links to server it takes 4 to 6 hours. My machine at home is faster but not that much faster. Does anyone know how to speed this up?
Any help is appreciated.

Cindy

When you say that you run it at home with 'no links', does that mean that the process never, ever uses the linked tables? And the only difference is that the links physically exist when it runs for 4-6 hours?
--Jim

Are you developing this db or just a user? If you are just a user, you're pretty much out of luck without disabling the network on your work computer. If you're the developer, then I would suggest that you create a temporary connection programmatically only when the linked tables are needed, and close them right afterwards.

The simplest solution is the best!

The linked files are used for part of the process.
I'll try to remove the link after that portion is complete.

Thanks

pepperca,
I think Prattarrat's question is key here: Are you in a role to modify this database or are you using it and just wondering how to make it run faster while you use it?

If you can modify this, then you just need to look at the process and see what the links are doing. I'm assuming it's linked tables, and they're being read or written to. There are too many variables to speculate here so if you could briefly explain in general how the links fit into the process, that would be a great help.

It's been a long time since I've seen any process in Access take 6 hours--it's my guess that there is a fair amount of low-hanging fruit here from which to pick improvments.
--Jim

I can modify the program. The files are linked and based on an account selected from a form a portion of the information in the table is loaded to a temporary table to be used in code. The linked table contains many different accounts.
I think I found the problem for one particular account the records have grown from what should be around 5000 to over 200000. The other accounts have not done this. So there lies my problem. Thank you all for the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back