Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Slow networking for one of 35 computers

Status
Not open for further replies.

trinitymarie

Technical User
Nov 21, 2002
Running Netware 5.0 all work stations XP Pro. One work station has always been slow, did a couple tweaks on it speeded up a little.
Here's the problem 3 computers have been plugged into the jack in 3 years always same problem. I found if I disconnect from jack and reconnect, computer flies. If restarted goes slow until disconnect and reconnect.

Changed jack, changed cable from Patch panel to jack. If I bring computer elsewhere and connect, it flies. Any ideas?

Have you changed switch port?

-----------------------------------------------------
"It's true, its damn true!"
-----------------------------------------------------

last sentence on original post. changed cable from patch panel to jack. The computer flies at any other station.

take the wall socket off and either recrimp it or better still - pop a new one on and recrimp

if your patch panel is easy accesseable to crimp it as well (although it doesnt tend to go at this end)

punched down the new wire to patch panel and jack this morning. Next step is to run a cable from switch to computer, but I can't figure out why this is happening. The new cable run was put up Friday and made sure ran free and clear of anything that could have an effect on it. tomorrow first thing i'm going to pull computer away from the desk and see if this has an effect.

Think I got it fixed. I tried a number ideas, did not help. For the tenth time I changed the Port on the switch and it seems to be flying now. I even rebooted a few times and no problems. Thanks for all the ideas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back