Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Slow network 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Technical User
Jul 29, 2004
US
Hello out there, I think I need some advice on configuring my network. It seems like I'm bogging it down. Here's what I have. My network is set up with a Direcway satelite connection for the internet. This connection goes into a U.S. Robotics Broadband router with a firewall and print sever. Unfortunatly, we are connected with a dynamic IP. I believe this is one of my problems because every now and then everyone on the network will not be able to access the internet. In order to get back on we have to reboot the router. Anyway, from the router I connect into a U.S. Robotics 8 port switch. I pick up four workstations from the switch and then from there I tie into another U.S.R. 8 port switch in which picks up four more workstations, and one server. The server is running NT4.0 and is set up as a DHCP server. Other than that, it is just used for storage. There is another workstation/sever I use for a Symantec antivirus server. All computers are set up to atomatically obtain updates and virus definitions, but they are set to run at night when no one is present. Another problem I am having trouble figuring out is every time I reformat or add a new computer to the network, I have to install the NetBEUI protocal in order to get on the network. No matter what O.S. I'm running. We are currently running four workstations with XP pro and four with Win98SE, all have 10/100 cards. I didn't think that NetBEUI was a necessary protocal to communicate on this network. In fact doesn't that slowing me down by broadcasting? Is this because of NT 4.0? Your help is greatly appreciated.

Hi

First, a dynamic IP shouldn't affect your ability to get on the Internet. For instance, my router sometimes hang during thunderstorms and I have to restart it. I guess satelite can be just as itchy as ASDL. To solve the problem I would get at tool like 3dtraceroute and run a continous trace to a reliable site on the Internet. This will show you where the communication fails. I acctually had a similar problem with my ISP and by using the 3d-trace and showing them the logs they fixed the problem. You'll find the program on the followning site

And then on to the probs on your LAN. My experience is that Windows tends to do funny things and the more OS you have the funnier it gets. If possible I would reinstall the clients and the server using Windows XP. Just shut down all the visual enhancements and it should run ok on a P-II 300 Mhz with 128 MB RAM. I run a similar network and all my clients and the server are using XP. I would also let the router act DHCP or configure the addresses manually. When all clients and servers are XP you can get rid of netbeui as well.

Hope it helps

/Eyas

Actually, Dynamic IPs can have that affect, but not because they are at fault, it is the fault of the USR NAT FireWall. The FW is not releasing/renewing the IP correctly, and reseting it forces it to do so. This is an incompatability between your USR device and the Direcway DHCP server. There is nothing you can do, other than update the firmware if USR has a patch for this, or replace the Firewall completely.

As for the other part, NetBEUI is not needed. It may be that the NT server is doing WINS for the LAN and it is set to use NetBEUI. I would either disable WINS and have the clients do their own WINS resolotion. Or enable DNS too. Either way it is not a needed protocol, and should be removed. It does need to be removed from everything though.

As far as slow downs. You are on Satilite, it is slow. You are looking at 300ms average response times, and they will not even give you an SLA under 3 seconds. That is the MOST likely reason for a slow down. Slow PCs are a good second reason. Extra protocols are a distant 3rd, and congested network is a very distant 4th reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back