Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Slow network transfer

Status
Not open for further replies.

babalwan2000

Programmer
Oct 21, 2004
GB
Hi Guys

Not sure if this is the right place to post this. I have a mind boggling situation happening at work.
My collegue usually transfers data from an XP workstation to an NT Server across a LAN. the file sizes range from 250MB to 1GB. these normally take about 5 minutes to copy across.
recently it's been taking for ever.
I've had to use a cross over cable to link the pc and server and bypass the LAN.
Any idea why its now taking so long to copy the data?
the server drive has about 6GB free space and cpu utilisation is below 100% on the server.
Any idea's guys?

I would investigate to be sure a virus is not using all the LAN bandwidth to spread.

I tried to remain child-like, all I acheived was childish.

I would enter static wins entries in the xp machine, I had the same problem but because xp is using dns and nt wins there is a logic there

thanks guys

I'll try that tomorrow and let you know the results.

I would also check to make sure that the speed of the network hasn't been changed.

Check the speed and duplexing of both network cards and also any switches in between.

Try doing a netstat (/? for a complete list of switches) and nbtstat to see if there are any suspect ports\connections being used.

I would also have a look at maybe netsh to see if that can help you (again a /? for a complete list of switches).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back