Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Slow Network Printing after installing SP2

Status
Not open for further replies.

JustBarno

Programmer
Jun 21, 2004
US
All the systems at my office that have SP2 now take upwards of 5 minutes to send a job to the printer. It appears that nothing is happening and then 3-5 minutes later, the job starts...

Any suggestions?

. Print a file and time it.
. Disable the SP2 firewall on a machine and test again (same file).

If there is a dramatic difference in the times then obviously there is a firewall setting for a port exception that is not being made. The necessary exceptions for Windows File and Printer sharing are a standard item in the Exceptions list.

If the times are still slow and roughly the same in both tests, then try:

Start, Printers and Faxes
right-click the problem printer.
Advanced, Print Processor, set to WinPrint and RAW

Click Ports, Add Port, local port, and enter:

\\print_server_name\printer_share_name
and then click OK.

(obviously substitute the real values from your network here).

Now assign this new port to the printer and test again.

Test again.

To fix this problem and slow browsing there are two entries in the registry that cause this.

I had a client the other day with the same problem and as soon as I removed the two entries all worked as it should.

Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software/Microsoft/windows/CurrentVersion/Explorer/RemoteComputer/Namespace
Delete both keys under that. one refers to Printers the other looks for Schedule task on remote computers, why no one seems to know.

Hope this helps. It has improved the speed on many PCs for my clients

Regards
Alan

Alan.... did you delete those keys on the computer that is creating the print job or the computer that has the printer connected to it (or both)?

Thanks for the clue ....

Andy Snyder
SnyAc Software Services

Those two entries have been there since Windows 95. While removing the default search for scheduled tasks does help with browsing remote shares, neither has any effect on network print speed.

One step that has helped many:

Remove the existing defined printer shares and redefine them again on the network printer clients.

If you are using NET USE statements for DOS redirection to the printers, and this is where the slowness is occuring, please advise.

a little finagling, but i got it--thanks for the help guys!

cheers!

matthew

--
matthew pepple <dot> com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back