Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Slow Network performance when Logged into Domain

Status
Not open for further replies.

dankelt

MIS
Jun 16, 2000
US
Here is my problem, I have Win XP and 2000 workstations, a Primary Domain Controller and 2 Secondary DCs. If I try to copy files (about 30 files 3.5 MB) from a W/S or SDC to the PDC it takes a couple minutes. If I try to reverse the direction, copy from the PDC to the W/S, it takes a couple seconds. If I don't login to the Domain on the W/S (Just log in as a local user) it takes a couple seconds either way.
This condition seems to affect the XP workstations more than the 2000. Is there some kind of authentification happening when I log into the domain that would cause file transfers to the PDC to slow down? Any thoughts?
Thank you,
Dan

I realy don't think it's a cabling problem. Because of the fact that:
1. It is only slow when I am logged into the domain.
2. If I sit at the PDC and do the file copy, it is fast, both directions.

It is only slow if the workstation is logged into the domain, and the workstation is initiating the copy. I've reproduced this exact behavior on multiple workstations and servers.

I think, maybe the DNS configuration is error at client side. Coz everything depends on DNS.

I've only had this happen to me when I used a peer to peer network (WIN98), I don't think it's dns. I think the problem lies more with protocal configuration. In anycase It's probably a client side problem. That's my two cents.

Blixx
I=PRT

I don't know what situation you are in.

1. What is your protocol configurations of clients?
2. How did you configure your DNS server at both side(Client and Server)?

3. Windows 2000 uses DNS everywhere, logging, authentication, and more...

GOOD LUCK!:) ------------------------------------
--^^If you think you can you can^^--
------------------------------------

The PDC is the DHCP, DNS, and WINS server.

Clients are running only TCP/IP, set to obtain address from the DHCP server, which also assigns DNS and WINS servers, and Gateway.

The DHCP server automaticaly updates DNS.

As far as I can tell DNS is setup right. All name resolution works fine.

The other thing that makes me think it's not DNS is the fact that I can copy files to other Domain Controllers just fine. It's just the PDC that is the problem, and only when I'm logged in as a domain user. This also makes me think it's not protocol configuration at the client.

I will look into it... and I thank you for the suggestions.
Dan

Run "Netdiag" off the W2K/tools CD on PDC/DC/Clients and see what if any errors you get in there.
Run "Set" command from DOS on clients and make sure you are actually logging into domain.

I haven't used xp, but I've heard there's a home version and a pro version. The people I've talked to say the home version has lousy networking. 2 cents worth since I haven't used xp is all. Glen A. Johnson
Microsoft Certified Professional
gjohn76351@msn.com
"An investment in knowledge pays the best interest."
Benjamin Franklin (1706 - 1790), US statesman, diplomat, inventor.

NYR,
Thanks for the tip, but everything in netdiag looked good, and passed all tests.

I don't understand how this could be a network setup problem. Aren't network settings machine specific? Meaning, if I log into my workstation as a Domain user I will get the same networking settings as logging in as a local user? If this is true, how can my file copies be fast only when I'm logged in as a local user?
One other thing to mention, I've tested my network with a program called Qcheck, and I get a consistant 93-94 mb/sec, both directions.

Also, the slowness seems to be in initializing the copy. If I copy one big file the speed is fine, but many little files takes about 100X as long.

I am totaly baffled by this...

kipkin, thanks for the reply, I didn't think anyone was still looking at this thread. Yes, that was the problem, and what I did was just demote that server and set my exchange server to be the PDC. Worked like a charm. The other thing you can do to work around the problem is use NetBeui.

Dan

I have recently seen an issue similar to this. My issues specs were:

1) Only when data is moving from a XP client to a 2000 Domain Controller.
2) Initiated from either box.
3) Not a problem moving data from the DC to the XP box.

It was resolved with a registry key change on the DC as per Q321169.

-Lance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back