Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Slow network connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

Markguttridge

Technical User
Sep 19, 2001
GB
Hi.
I've just installed Win 2k pro on a pc that used to run Win ME Its connected to a small peer to peer network of 3 other Pc's (2 run 98 & 1 runs ME) now when i try to access the network it seems to take forever to open files and folders on these other pc's that used to open instantly under ME.Has anyone got any ideas why it should have become so slow?

there is a "bug" in win2k that makes it interact with win9x/ME machines incorrectly over TCP/IP. I have experienced this as well have my friends that run a mix. I am unsure if there is a fix or not, but maybe you should take a look over at MS' site to see what they say.

-Jon

You can do 2 things to help with the speed problem.
1) Install NETBEUI on all machines.
2) Edit the hosts file and input all the IP addresses and Computer names in them. In Windows 2000 it is in the \WINNT\system32\drivers\etc folder
in Win98/ME its in the C:\Windows folder

Now if there is no hosts file you can create 1 by opening up notepad. type the IP and Computer name in the folloing format.
192.168.1.1 computername

now save the files as hosts with NO extension afterword. You can make 1 file and use it in all the PC's as long as you put all the IP addresses and PC names in it. When done put it in the folders listed above. James Collins
Systems Support Engineer
A+, MCP

email: butchrecon@skyenet.net

Please let us (Tek-tips members) know if the solutions we provide are helpful to you. Not only do they help you but they may help others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back