Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Slow Network Browsing (1st time then OK)

Status
Not open for further replies.

FNBIT

IS-IT--Management
Oct 27, 2006
US
I have a Windows 7 Home Premium machine that takes a long time to browse the network after it is restarted or freshly booted. I takes about 3 minutes to find everything once the machine is up and running. During this time I cannot connect to the machine from another machine (XP or Win 7) either. However, once it finds everything it is very quick any other time. It does have NOD32 running on it with Windows Firewall and NOD32 firewall disabled. Any ideas why this is taking so long? There is no local
DNS server, just a NAS device, firewall, Xerox Printer, a XP machine and then at times a Windows 7 Laptop.

Thanks in advance!

Are there any updated Network Drivers available from the manufacturer?

Do you have any errors in the Windows 7 Event Viewer?

When looking at the Event Viewer, make sure you are an Administrator.

Better troubleshooting capabilities with Windows Vista's Event Viewer (or 7)

Any clues coming from Task Manager during that starting slowdown?

Windows Vista's Task Manager: The harder-to-detect changes

What is it like if you boot into "Safe with Networking"?

What about a different user at logon?

How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows Vista or in Windows 7

I think it's a device/driver issue. I recently upgraded 2 laptops at home from wireless G to wireless N using the latest Intel 5900 chip, I believe it was. When I made the change, the laptop with Vista has run 100% fine. The one with Windows 7 seems to take a while to find the right network and connect, but once connected, it's totally fine. It has taken probably about the time you mention. I tried (very briefly) to find a different driver, via Windows Update, but no go there. I've also seen another laptop with a different Wireless N adapter that had the issue that it (99.999% of the time) sees the network to connect to, but you have to manually connect.

All that to say I imagine it's the driver. If it's too painful to deal with, I'd try doing as much research as possible into finding a different driver. In some cases, you can find a Vista driver vs a Windows 7 driver for the same hardware, use it in Win7, and get better results.

Thanks for the ideas. I will take a look at it. Luckily its not a killer but just a pain. I will let you know how this goes!

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back