Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Slow network application performance 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 26, 2001
GB
When using applications accross a windows nt network, file transfer is very fast on both 95 and nt machines but on new dell 8100 series machine with nt 4, files transfer fast but applications run very slow.

Anyone have an idea on this one!

Hi there Datsun100a

Are you running a database application of are you getting all around performance slow down on your network with the Dell? What you might want to try is this. Go to your task bar and right click on the virus scanning software (if you have a new Dell then you probably have Norton Antivirus) On the menu that pops up, select disable. Try running your applications again with Norton's diabled and see if this helps at all. If this works then you might look into either switching to a new virus scanner or wait a while while I try to find a work around this problem (I have a similar set up on my network. All older machines run really fast but new Dells are really slow when running network applications.)

I think its the virus software scanning the .dll files, if you can afford to not scan these, then tell the software not to scan these files and see if it speeds up.....
What about protocals??? do you guys have netbeui installed???? try adding or removing this and see what happens..... Jay~

"I have to think of a funny footer to
put in here!!!???"

~KeyTech

Thanks KeyTech.

Before I posted my last message I had though it was either a conflict btwn my network card and my SMC switch but after a bit of experimenting found it was only just the virus scanner.

Protocols are not the problem.

I already have the problem figured out on my network. The virus scanner is scanning the dll's and some other files however trying to get Norton's to not interfere with operations is proving to be a bit of a problem. The only way at this time that I can figure out is to disable AutoProtect but this leaves your computer a bit open to viruses.
I have used McAfee and that worked fine (I prefere Nortons though)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back