Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Slow network access of Win2k machines

Status
Not open for further replies.

Intensity109

IS-IT--Management
Jun 16, 2002
AU
Hi There,

i have a windows 2003 server which acts as a PDC, the problem i am having is with one specific type of computer a celeron 400 with 128mb of ram and intel 10/100 network cards.

everytime these machines log into the network, and starts to process the login script, it takes about 10 minutes and then an error message pops up on the screen saying that it cant find the path to \\server\netlogon\file.exe (which is the 1st line of the login script) then it cancels the rest of the script, and goes to the desktop, but its in offline mode and it wont see the network.

i cant ping the router, i cant ping the server and i cant ping any other IP address besides the computer itself IP address.

these machines are running Windows 2000 Professional with Service Pack 4; funny enough if i install Windows XP Pro on these machines the problem dissapears and they work as they should

if any could help me i would be most appreciative

many thanks in advance

Simon

Sorry,
A very very stupid question here, but have you the correct NIC drivers installed?
In device manager is there anything with a yellow exclaimation mark beside it?
Are they configured for dhcp?

Looking for the best answers:
faq222-2244
Keeping your system clear of malware:
faq608-4650
Dont forget to post back with the eventual resolution.

See my notes, particularly the last paragraph in this FAQ: faq779-4017

Sorry thats my fault i should have said something! :)

yes i have used both microsofts drivers and the drivers from the actual company that makes the NIC. under device manager they are working correctly.

i have tried using 2 seperate NICS, a 3com 3c905c-TX and a Intel 10/100 Pro, ive downloaded the driver from both sites and installed them, ive tried using different switches but still no luck.

hope this helps

thanks alot!!

Simon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back