Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Slow Netware Login

Status
Not open for further replies.

MinDFleX2K

IS-IT--Management
Dec 7, 2000
GB
HELP!

I am pulling my hair out!

We currently have users using the Microsoft Client to logon to a network. But in the last week we have had slooooow login times when authenticating to the netware tree. Now, if you do alt+ctrl+del you can bypass the login and you go straight to windows with IP. what is going on? I have looked at frame type (802.3) which is fine. After doing a SH IPX TRAFFIC I see a lot of format errors...apperently this is down to a misconfigured packet header which is being dropped. The netware servers look fine. can some one help me! :(

You could debug ipx activity, but it sounds like a frame type mismatch.
Check your encapsulation on line and servers and make
certain that there are no mismatches. Then you can debug
ipx routing, activity,etc..

You could post your configs and ipx traf if you want.

Thanks for your advice.

I think I may of found the problem. We have a FIlter on the routers which force authentication with minimal Tree-Walking. This was applied a while back and for some reason seems not to work. That said, the issues have only started to arise but that could be down to old IOS on the RSM`s and Switches. We got some tests going on a new Vlan (for testing) and configured a 3620 and switch. With the filter on, logon times were slow and progressed in time with evry logon attemp. With the filter off, logon times were at a minimum. So that may be the problem. We are doing more tests on Tuesday night. I will post the final results if you are interested

OK!

Now i am really lost. I had a look at the GNS-filter which is in place at the moment and it seems that the Netware servers were not on the list (we had 2 on there). Added these to a new Filter list. Cool. Tried some logon tests and all seemed fine. But today we are still getting problems. Did a sniff and it is still taking to long to find the correct server ARGGGHHH! Can anyone help! before I grab RSM and kick the living day lights out if it! :( :(

You have sap filters in place-have you tried removing them and seeing how long it takes?
What are you using for routing: ipx rip? Maybe NLSP
is worth a try.
Also check your higher layers-I had a problem like this with client32 where netbios(ncp)was being blocked by bad filtration. The connects would hang forever.
Track on, on your novell boxes, and debug your ipx traf.

Just some ideas.

Looks like I have sussed it. It seems that you have to put the Tree rather than the Server in the gns filter. Once I done that, it went flying through the Logon. Thats great! But now I have an issue with a vlan at one site only getting IP and no IPX! ArGgghAhgdwejhdgeiu! Its never ending...but thats why I like my job.....any suggestions?
Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back