Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Slow NAT with 2003 Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

De1l

MIS
Aug 9, 2007
GB
Hi,

We have just installed a 2003 Server which is plugged directly into the ISP cable modem and configured NAT to enable Internet access.

We have however noticed a performance decrease compared to the router this has replaced. There is not a huge diference but pages do load noticably slower than before.

It is not a hardware performance issue as when opening many pages at once and downloading multiple files the Server CPU usage never goes above 1%.

Is it just that Windows is not as suited to routing? Or is there anyway we can improve performance?

In general, a hardware based router is usually a better solution than a software based. Is there a reason you removed the router that was there? Also, how are you utilizing the server as a router? Are you using RRAS or ISA?

Thanks for the reply, we are using RRAS..would we likely see an increase in speed if we used ISA? I have downloaded an evaulation copy but havent tried it yet.

The router was needed elsewhere and I was interested in giving this a try.

I can't guarantee that you would see an increase with ISA, although it does stand for Internet Security and Acceleration. We use it, but only as a web proxy. I think for the price you would pay for ISA, you can get a decent router and use that. I think you would see a performance boost then.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back