Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

slow modem connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

AntunB

IS-IT--Management
Aug 11, 2003
AU
i use dial up still, as i liv in australia, cant get nething else

i am running windows XP withs SP 1
and its a swann speed demon modem with the XP drivers installed

we are getting speeds of 9kbps - 48 kbps

but more often its less then 24kbps, and that is way tooo slow

it is not our service provider, and it is not the phone lines, we got our phone supplier to come and check it out and he said its the modem

now y would the connection be slow, it was fine b4 and then all of a sudden its slow

could a lightning strike have stuffed it???? also y are the speeds fluctuating, we are getting normal 48kbps and then we get 9kbps

any information would be much apreciated

mayb its a microsoft thing

Have you reinstalled the modem drivers? How about recreating the dial up connection? It is definitely possible that degradation is occuring from an electrical storm, but usually you would have other problems.

I would try the above, and then look at a different modem. You might even sign up with a different isp using some trial offer, just to make sure it isn't something on your current isp's end.

Matt J.

Please always take the time to backup any and all data before performing any actions suggested for ANY problem, regardless of how minor a change it might seem. Also test the backup to make sure it is intact.

ok i tried the modem on another pc and same problem

so its not the configuration

ill do more testing thanks

Was it using the same phone line? I usually find that these isues have to do with other devices plugged into the same inside wiring.

I tried to remain child-like, all I acheived was childish.

we got 2 different phone lines

tried them both

thanks for your reply :)

ok i tested it on a different phone line completely, and different modem

what i mean by completely is, a different location to my house and suburb, even though we hav 2 seperate phone lines it comes off the same exchange

so the problem could be either:

The phone lines
The modem

is there a way to test the phone lines or modem????

or will i just have to do trial and error, get a different modem and all

ok it was the modem

we got a different modem and it works fine

now i want to know is wat would have caused it to be degrading? fluctuating speeds between 9kbps and 48kbps

thanks all for your help :)

do you have lightning there? that is what gets mine.

I tried to remain child-like, all I acheived was childish.

it could have been lightening

BUT all the modems i know of that have been broken from lightening completely dont work

but this did work

very odd

I had a modem a few years ago that had been affected by lightning. It would test ok, dialup fine but it would drop the connection - sometimes after just a few seconds, othertimes it would stay on as long as perhaps thirty minutes. I spent a frustrating couple of nights trying to sort it. I finally bit the bullet and replaced it. Sorted! Most modems I have replaced smelt cooked; a few had holes blown in components; one PC had almost all components fried!

Andy.

thanks andy for your reply

yeh proly lightning

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back