Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Slow Machine with Folder Redirection

Status
Not open for further replies.

swm2win

IS-IT--Management
May 20, 2005
US
We're running windows 2003 server at one site, and 2000 at another. Most of our users stay within their site, but a few move between the two.

When a user who typically works at Site A logs in at Site B, the computer hangs pretty badly with everything they do. I'm assuming that's because their folders are redirected to a server back in Site A, so it it's trying to run cross WAN the whole time. Is there a way to continue to use folder redirection, but pick up the pace a little bit?

Thanks!

I remember a similar situation in my previous work place.
I think the issue was that the pc was pulling its settings (user profile, mapped dirs ect) from the remote server in London which was not very quick.

You may be able to resolve this by using DFS and have your two servers synchronizing every so often. If the user's profile etc are then redirected to the dfs it can find that locally on the server at the site they are at and no longer do you have to pull it on demand from far away.

The same actually goes for all other folder redirections. It is also nice as a backup, for you actually have a remote backup between the sites.

You will need a heavy connection between the sites (so I would imagine), especially for the first sync.

Good luck.

JR
IT = Logic (except for a well known OS where it equals luck) -> Back to the Basics!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back